Sunday, August 9, 2009

DM-620 Mobile Armor Prototype









Design Note

I did promised myself to start drawing during my exile, so here you go. And as I love my ex (Ducati Monster) so much, I promised her that I will turn her into a transforming mobile armor so I can wear around.

In conceiving of transforming mobile armor of this size, there are several problems that needed to be tackled with:-

i) Power source – I have to be realistic. The ‘Ironman’ type unlimited power source engine with an unexplained physics is, simply put it, hard to convince anyone. While at the same time I always want to avoid using miniature nuclear reactor as engine for the risk of nuclear melt down. With a mobile armor, I always think that some sort of fuel cell engine is good enough for limited combat radius. I am assuming technological advance will make hydrogen fuel cell engine small and powerful enough for the job of powering a mobile armor. Stay as is for now, and let me do some more research on fuel cell, that I might revise design after this prototype.

ii) I would have guessed that the most challenging technology for this particular mobile armor would be the nanotechnology fusing mechanism that is required for the breaking up of the two tires. Nanotech fusing of materials shouldn’t be a big problem as long as nano-bot technology can be produced. But based on the current slow research process of nanotechnology, I might think that something like that may not be achievable until the year 2050… (One interesting aspect is that once nano-bot technology is achieved, people will argue that, by that time, we cannot rely on any type of armor for protection, as nano-bots can easily eat up armor plating. (note: the most current nano-bot technology was shown in the movie “The Day the Earth Stood Still” where nano-bots like storm blowing while eating up buildings.) Obviously by then, there should be ways for counter nano-bot measures… which need separate development program in itself).

Note there is nothing new in motorcycle-transformed mobile armor (remember the anime Mosepeda 20 years ago? Or western countries called Robotech). I do not want to keep the whole-wheel approach in designing motorcycle-transformed mobile armor as the wheel will simply be a inactive mass not adding any function in the armor mode. So I break the wheels up (and looks more cool as well) and make it useful for armor protection purpose.

iii) The miniature motors and retractable sub-armor shouldn’t be much problem, I think, based on the current fast development of robotics technology.

The purpose of this armor will emphasize in mobility rather than protection. I am still trying to develop a proper anti-gravity system (or a combined type of inertia compensation system) to make things light and floating. But I think I just put it in for now…

No comments:

Post a Comment